Friday, May 1, 2009

I'm in agony...

150409
I'm writing this just before I get my head shaved..
And so my National Service begins..
Got up at about 6am this morning to head for the pick up point. First things first, I live on the West and the pick up is in the East. So I figured, 2hrs should be enough to get there in time for the 0800hr pick up. But I was terribly wrong! Traffic on the highways were a killer and I was stuck in traffic till about 7.50am! Supposedly I was meant to meet at 0800hrs, I arrived at 0830hrs! I felt nervous at that moment and I prayed that I wouldn't get in trouble or miss the bus. Fortunately there was a last bus to take me... 'one of the very last fews' to our camp. Which is 'conveniently' located OFF the island of Singapore on a very deserted island called Pula Tekong.

We received about 50kgs of army stuff on our first day, from boots to bootlaces to socks to shorts to pants to shirts to dogtags to helmets.
My room is currently so QUIET, no one here has even said "hi". I think I got to do it fast, before my next 9wks will be a library.

I reside in Raven Company, Platoon 3, section 2, bed 13. R3213!
The sergeants are already being asses.. Never question them -> they give you stupid answers.

230409
ONE more week till I book out..
Really miss home. I'm trying to adjust to the weather and the whole thing about military lifestyle. I still can't... Its so hard, when officers are calling you names and telling you that you're nothing... Are we really that bad?
Anyways, I sweat when I sleep! What in the world?! Seriously... Its so uncomfortable..
Training has been punishing and I'm really having second thoughts about going to command school and suffer the pain of being a cadet/recruit/nobody all over again.
9 - 6 months of this pain?! NO WAY.. NO WAY!!
But then again, not going to command school, and just take commands? NO WAY! NO WAY...

lunch time now. back to eating >.< food..

250409
I've fallen sick.. Coughing, Flu, Sorethroat? boo...
I reckon the training has finally been able to break my physical body. Every single day, I pray and ask that I don't faint or pass out during my training. Its so easy to just dehydrate and pass out as we're wearing our LONG uniform, under a boiling scorching sun.
Things are getting better (more friends/more social) but the sergeants are getting more anal, since adjustment week is over. Essentially we have 1 week to adjust to the whole lifestyle of the army. ONE week to understand that you're no longer a civilian, one week to face the fact that you don't have the freedom anymore, one week to be the lowest of all lowest ranks.. One single week..

There is a song that we sing when we march, it goes "When the cold wind blows, I know I know you have to go, so hurry back home, cos I miss you so.."
Every time I sing that song, I get an ache in my heart. I honestly miss home.. Anyone willing to swap places with me? haha....
Although I'm still thinking of command school, the 6-9months of 10x the intensity of my current training just puts me off.. yuk!

280409
We were meant to have out live hand grenade throw today, but it got canceled. Maybe someone was injured by one of the 2200 ball bearings when it exploded? Who knows.. Fortunately we didn't go for the throw today, it rained the whole morning and afternoon. Thank God.. why? RAIN = NO TRAINING!

My camp is located on the east side of Singapore.. some random island 20mins away from the mainland.. But since my camp is on the east side, its somewhat close to Changi Airport. Which means there are about 100 planes flying above us every single day. Everytime a plane flies past above us, I look up and i just have the urge to do a Matrix jump and grap on to the wings of the plane and be taken away.. I don't care where, I just want to get out of camp.. HAHA, I wish..

2 more days to book out day.. doo daaa dooo daaa dayyyy. Finally I may be part of civilisation again! hooorayy... !

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home